SHANE L. MICHAEL
Pepperdine School of Law Malibu, California
Juris Doctorate, Straus Institute Certificate. May 2011
Honors Trial Advocacy Team
Champion, 2010 National Civil Trial Competition
2nd Place, Pepperdine Closing Argument Competition
3rd Place, CACJ National Trial Competition
Loyola Marymount University Los Angeles, California
Bachelor of Arts, English. May 2001
Sigma Tau Delta (English Honor Society)
Order of Omega (Greek Honor Society)
Sigma Chi Fraternity, President
Queen’s College, Oxford University Oxford, England
Oxford Summer Program. June 2000 – July 2000
Accredited Court Mediator, Liaison to the High Court.
Kampala, Uganda. August 2011 – Present
- Conduct pre-adjucative mediations for cases coming before the Commercial Court.
- Seek to encourage the implementation of plea-bargaining in Uganda’s criminal court system.
- Develop a Juvenile Handbook outlining the procedural process for criminally accused juveniles in Uganda.
Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office
Certified Law Clerk
Los Angeles, California. Fall 2009, May 2010 – May 2011
- Represented the prosecution on the record in twelve preliminary hearings.
- Drafted motions, responses to motions, and assisted with strategy for arguing motions.
- Conducted evidentiary and exhibit review and aided in trial preparation.
Edgerton & Weaver
Manhattan Beach, California. Summer 2010
- Assisted partners in preparation for multi-million dollar arbitration and litigation cases.
- Drafted memoranda on legal issues including FINRA arbitration and the financial industry.
- Conducted research, completed discovery, and assisted in strategy development for arbitration.
Pepperdine University School of Law
Research Assistant to Professor Terry Adamson, Jurist in Residence
Malibu, California. January 2010 – May 2011
- Editor-in-chief for criminal pretrial advocacy textbook.
- Authored several chapters and edited and revised complete text.
Uganda High Court, Criminal Division
Kampala, Uganda. May 2009 – July 2009
- Drafted, edited, and revised judgments for cases on appeal to the High Court.
- Conducted comparative research of the Ugandan and American legal systems,
- providing recommendations to the Ugandan judiciary regarding attorney sanctions.
- Authored judicial memoranda for cases pending before the High Court.
Loyola High School
English Department, English Teacher
Los Angeles, California. September 2001 – June 2008
- Taught comprehensive curriculum integrating grammar, writing, and literature.
- Created hundreds of innovative lesson plans to be incorporated across the English curriculum.